Family Law Attorney Focusing on High Asset Divorce Service in Houston, Texas
International Divorce Lawyer 2017-11-30T12:55:17-06:00

Need a Divorce Attorney in Houston for International Divorce?

International Child Custody Disputes and Family Law for Clients Outside the US

  • Where were the parties married?
  • Where does each party consider to be his or her permanent residence?
  • What countries are the parties’ citizens of?
  • Where does each party have legal residence?
  • Where are the parties currently residing?
  • Where do the parties work?
  • Do the parties have children?
    1. If so, where were the children born?
    2. Where are the children currently living?
  • Where do the parties own property?
  • Which country will have jurisdicion?
    1. Over the parties?
    2. Over the children?
    3. Over the property?
  • Which country should the divorce be file in?
  • Which country or countries will the international divorce decree need to be enforced in?
  • How will the divorce decree be enforced?
  • How to coordinate the divorce with all countries involved?

Oftentimes, Texans who move overseas, either for military duty or for other business matters, face the possibility of a divorce or child custody dispute while they are away. International clients may then find it difficult to return to the United States to speak with a divorce attorney in Houston. More often than not, such situations involve one spouse who still resides in the United States filing a divorce proceeding against the other spouse, who is outside of the country. Even if you are currently living abroad, you can obtain a divorce that is effective in Texas. To do so, we recommend the support of a Houston divorce attorney familiar with international divorce and child custody disputes.

How Do We Help International Clients with Divorce and Child Custody in Houston?

Courts of all countries often have to deal with divorce and custody issues involving two or more countries. Frequently, residents of the United States who reside abroad and have marital problems seek to litigate custody in the United States. In addition, foreign residents who are traveling in the United States find that their spouse is seeking custody here. If one of the spouse’s resides in Houston or is a resident of Texas, John K. Grubb may be able to help.

Have an International Child Custody Dispute?

Many countries have adopted The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, including the United States. The United States has also adopted the International Child Abduction Remedies Act. This controls which country’s court will decide the issue of child custody. When an issue develops as to which country is to decide child custody, the law provides the court must return the child to the country of the child’s “habitual residence”, if the child has been “wrongfully removed or retained”.

Divorce Attorney in Houston for International Clients

If you or a spouse is overseas and you face the possibility of a Houston divorce or international child custody dispute, let us help you. We provide local representation you in dealing with international family law matters. John K. Grubb is not only a family lawyer with over 30 years’ experience. He is also board certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Please fill out our online divorce contact form or call us directly at 1-713-877-8800.