Family Law Attorney Focusing on High Asset Divorce Service in Houston, Texas
Divorce Checklist 2019-12-13T16:57:09-06:00

By John K. Grubb, Attorney
5005 Riverway Drive, Suite 450
Houston, Texas 77056

Divorce Checklist

John K. Grubb - Houston Divorce Attorney

Each divorce is different.  For some of the more simple divorces, we need very few documents.  However, in many divorces, even uncontested ones, people have a number of different sources of income and many different assets so we will need many documents. Many of the documents listed below will be necessary for us to prepare for hearings, prepare proposed settlements, to attend mediation, to proceed to trial, and even if your case does not go to trial, to prepare the Final Decree of Divorce, the Agreement Incident to Divorce, and the necessary closing documents.

One word of caution:  Do not make assumptions about how your divorce will proceed. Too many people assume that their divorce is going to be simple or uncontested so they do not obtain the necessary documents and provide them to us in a timely fashion.  Even if your case settles early, we are not in a position to finalize their divorce because we do not have the necessary information and documents.  Also, experience has proven that way too many people think their case is simple when it is not, or they are overly optimistic about a settlement.  I have found the fastest, easiest, and a least expensive way to handle a divorce is to get us the necessary the information earlier rather than later. 

Here is a list of documents that I have found will help your divorce proceed more smoothly:

  • Any prenuptial agreements, post-marital agreements, and partition and exchange agreement you and your spouse have signed.
  • Any prior divorce decree of either party.
  • Individual income tax returns for the last three to five years, along with any W-2 forms, 1099’s, and K-1 statements.
  • Tax returns for any business interest you and/or your spouse may own – small private companies, limited liability companies (LLC), limited partnership interests (LP), or real estate investment trusts (REIT).
  • Any trust and/or will that either spouse may be a beneficiary of.
  • Checking, savings, credit union, money market, certificates of deposits, and any other account statements.
  • Brokerage statements, stock portfolios and other investments you and/or your spouse own.
  • Any employment contracts, stock options grants, stock option statements, vesting schedules, and account statements.
  • All real estate documents for any real estate you and/or your spouse own an interest in including deeds, deeds of trust, mortgage statements, and property tax statements.
  • All appraisals of any real estate, personal property, antiques, furniture, equipment, and jewelry.
  • Retirement documents including 12/31 IRA, 401(k), 403(b), and pension statement. Also any employer explanations of employee benefits.
  • All certificate of title documents, including automobile, boat, jet skis, snowmobile, 4 wheels, and trailers. Also, any loan documents connected with these assets.
  • All life insurance policies (other than employer-provided term life insurance) and all annuities.
  • An inventory of your safety deposit box, including copies of the documents in there and photos of any non-documentary items – like coin collections, jewelry, etc.
  • All personal financial statements and loan applications filled out by you and/or your spouse in the last five years.
  • Copies of all loans, debts, obligations and credit card balance that you and/or your spouse owe, including any personal guarantees.
  • List of any other assets or investments that you and/or spouse own or claim an interest in.
  • Your last 2 pay stubs showing your year to date earnings.
  • Document regarding any property you owned prior to marriage.
  • Documents of any property you inherited while married.
  • Documents of any property you received as a gift while married.

If there are children involved in your divorce you may want to get the following documents in order to prove a need for above-guideline child support:

  • Any documents showing the child support recipient’s needs for child support. This does not mean documents showing that the child and/or recipient of child support is accustomed to a certain lifestyle, but rather, that they actually need the extra child support money. For example, if the recipient is forced to obtain childcare or after school care for the child. Helpful documents will include those that show the cost of childcare will be too high for the recipient of child support to pay for the childcare if the above guideline child support were not granted.
  • Any documents showing a special need of a child that will cause the recipient of child support to incur extra costs in supporting the child. This includes a mentally or physically handicapped child or a child that has any medical condition that will cause the recipient of child support to incur extraordinary costs.
  • Lastly, it will be important to provide documents that show the obligor’s ability to pay the above guideline child support. This will include anything showing that they have the extra income to pay for the above guideline child support.

If you plan on requesting Alimony or Spousal Maintenance as it is referred to in Texas, here are some documents you might want to gather and provide to your attorney:

  • Any documents showing the receiving spouse’s inability to provide for their own reasonable needs and living expenses. This may include any documents showing the receiving spouse has a disability or has been fired from his or her job.
  • Any documents showing that the paying spouse has the ability to pay the spousal maintenance.
  • Any documents showing the receiving spouse’s inability to obtain employment or higher education to provide for their basic reasonable needs and living expenses.

 If you are ready to take the next step and start on your divorce, contact Houston attorney, John K. Grubb.